Lost & Found

Pensions advice is usually couched in terms of what you should be saving to ensure a comfortable retirement. However, it is equally important not to lose track of pensions entitlements already built up.

I’ll cover state and private pensions in a future update, but today I want to highlight a free government service that can help reunite people with pension entitlements built up with previous employers.

Strange as it may seem, it is easy to lose track of workplace pensions. Scheme administrators are notoriously poor at keeping even current employees informed, so ex-workers are easily overlooked or worse.

All is not lost though. The Pension Tracing Service keeps a register of workplace pension schemes, drawn from each scheme’s mandatory annual return.

The service can be accessed by telephone or by completing an online enquiry form .

The PTS is also happy to receive written requests for help.

You can call them on 0845 6002 537, complete the online enquiry form or write to them at:

Pension Tracing Service
The Pension Service
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

They will require the name of your previous employer or pension scheme to get the ball rolling. However, the more information you can provide them with, the better the chance of success.

If you do visit their website it is well worth having a look round.  They have lots of useful pension resources, including what you can do if things go a bit wrong!


Take care out there



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow me on Twitter